The beginning of an incredible journey!


May 25, 2014, was a banner day for Sloane and Daddy! Sloane Kathleen Paul (more on the name later) made her triumphant entrance into this world at 8:18 PM, weighing in at 6 pounds and 15 ounces.  She wasn't exactly a prize fighter by size but had already endured quite a fight to enter this world. Sloane's mother was in labor from about 12:30 pm till 8:18 obviously, and began pushing around 4:00 pm. Sloane began to enter this world with a wrapped umbilical cord, was sunny side up, had low blood pressure, had a compact arm blocking her way out, was extremely jaundiced, and had terminal meconium. Her doctors and nurses were incredible and did everything they were trained to do in those moments. If you have never had children or witnessed birth you cannot possibly understand how miraculous and scary it is at the same time. The Lord blessed us that day and gave me and her mother the greatest gift ever, a fire engine red-haired spitfire that has never met a stranger or someone she wouldn't talk to.

Once, Sloane entered this world officially the love I already had for her doubled and maybe even tripled instantly. Again, if you have never had a child, stepchild, godchild, or seen a child born you won't understand that sensation, but I knew from the minute I cut the cord that Sloane and Daddy were going to be a great team. What followed that day has been a lifetime of incredible journeys, high's, low's, and remarkably terrifying days for her and us, her family.  I can promise you as a parent, and then ultimately later becoming a single parent, nothing can prepare you for the experience and love you can have for a child.

Fast forward approximately 11 and a half months and we, her mother and I, were already preparing for her first birthday. The first year of life for your child is a complete whirlwind.  That year is full of firsts for your child, it is simply amazing what they can accomplish. They accomplish things like the first time crawling, rolling over, and maybe walking. Sloane had her own agenda and didn't walk in her first year. Sloane actually didn't walk until she was 18 months old.  This, coupled with her birthing struggles should have been my first realization that Sloane was going to be different and do things in her own way and time.  Her birthday was coming together marvelously, and we had a great party planned for it. However, as fate would turn out this would be the only birthday party we have planned together.

For that reason and the separation from Sloane's mom, I have decided to work back and chronicle the great journey Sloane and Daddy have been on so far, and the journeys that are yet to come.  I in no way claim to be an author. I know that my grammar will be unremarkable at times. I know that maybe the flow of this blog won't be great at times, but the one thing I can promise you is that it is a great story, and I will do my best to tell it.  The reason I am doing this blog is that a few people have inspired me to share my story. Some people have directly asked me to blog and I said I would.  I read blogs of my own and get inspiration, so I am hoping that maybe this blog and my story touches someone in a special way. 

Feel free to leave remarks and comments!

- Daddy -

P.S. The topic of the next blog will be "Kathleen" check back in a few days for that story! Until next time.


Sloane at 3                                                                                                                              Daddy at 3

Comments

  1. Thanks, Seth. I appreciate how you want every word to be the RIGHT one to express exactly what you feel/felt and are trying to get across. I have confidence that whichever words you choose will be the correct ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Michael. I really appreciate it and am happy you enjoyed the post. Feel free to check back in a day or so for the next installment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Sloane Kathleen" A beautiful name... Part 2 (Kathleen)

"Sloane Kathleen" A beautiful name... Part 1 (Sloane)